At Marketing Refresh, many of our clients are small businesses that target niche audiences. We appreciate getting to know each client’s business, customers, and industry to formulate the right strategy that helps them get the most return on the marketing spend.
We take a very deliberate approach to help our clients build a framework that will support their marketing efforts for years to come while also creating enough flexibility to adapt as their market and customers change. Hello, 2020!
Here’s our approach to helping small business owners reach a niche audience on a budget to grow their business.
The Framework for Reaching a Niche Audience
1. Define Your Audience
Before you do anything, you have to define who you are trying to reach. We call this the buyer’s journey. Others call it buyer personas or customer journeys. No matter what you call it, this is the starting point. It requires breaking out several key elements:
- Who do you want to target?
- What are the stages of each persona’s journey to ultimately buy your product or service?
- What are the key messages for each persona at each stage of their journey?
Instead of taking a scattershot approach throwing messages at the wall to see what sticks, taking this approach creates a needed structure for your efforts. Now you’re targeting your audience with the right message at the right time in the right way to address their pain points and advance them toward becoming a customer.
2. Communicate With Your Audience
Once you define your audience and determine how you want to speak to them, you need to find and connect with your audience. There are a few different things you can do to support your communication efforts and generate new leads for your business:
- Build up a prospect list to send regular communication.
- Build up your social media following to reach your audience organically.
- Target the right audience and personas through paid ads.
- Build up your website content by optimizing website pages, creating blog content, and adding landing pages to reach your audience when they’re searching for specific things at each stage of their journey.
Fortunately, you don’t have to go alone at this! We provide lead generation support for our clients so that you can focus on running the business. Plus, we’ll continue to measure the effectiveness of what’s working and what can be improved so that we can help you continue to target your niche audience.
3. Take Advantage of Off-Site Opportunities
Another strategy to reach a niche audience on a budget is to support your off-site listings and use paid advertising.
Think of your company website as your personal property. It’s where all of your information resides, where you control the content, and where your audience arrives looking to do business with you. But, there is another world away from your personal property that can be optimized to reach your audience.
– Local SEO: If you want to reach a very specific local audience (e.g., you’re a financial service provider in Houston, and you want to target Houston customers only), then you will want to grow your authority for local keywords in search engines. You’ll also want to manage your off-site listing on outlets like Google, Yelp, and the Yellow Pages. This will help get your company in front of more eyeballs (and the right eyeballs) to pull them into your website.
– Paid Search: As I mentioned before, you can use LinkedIn paid advertising to reach specific prospects and customers on LinkedIn. That’s just the tip of the iceberg. You can also use your marketing budget to develop online ad programs on Google, Facebook, Instagram, and other relevant platforms. This way, you can develop campaigns targeting specific ad groups and then track performance to measure the results of each campaign.
We have had a lot of success building paid ad strategies for our clients. We develop the campaigns, strategically utilize your budget, and actively manage each ad campaign to monitor performance and refine the campaigns over time to generate results.
Let’s Develop a Strategy to Reach Your Niche Audience
We are eager to work with small businesses that need support reaching a targeted audience through digital marketing. We have more than a decade of experience helping clients grow their businesses through our proven, strategic approach.
And, the best part is that you don’t have to have to break the bank to reach your audience. We’ll help you get the most out of your marketing spend to generate the right leads to help you convert more customers.
Reach out to us today to discuss the niche audience you’re trying to target! Let’s get to work growing your business.