For small businesses looking to stand out in search results, getting ranked by Google is just one part of the battle. The next half of the battle is actually getting prospects and customers to click on your link.
Fortunately for small businesses that are led by veterans, Google has made it easier to help you stand out.
Google recently added a “Veterans-led” attribute through Google My Business. For businesses that are run by veterans, this is an opportunity to add a special designation to your official business listing to attract more traffic to your website.
How Can Small Businesses Take Advantage of the Google Veterans Attribute?
If you are a veteran who owns a small business or if you work for a small business that is run by a veteran, then consider taking the following steps to enhance your company’s Google listing. After completing these steps, your audience will see the unique veterans icon on the search results page when they search for your business.
1. Make sure you or your company own the official business listing through Google My Business.
2. Follow the steps to add the Veterans-led attribute to your official listing.
3. Clean up official business information such as hours, contact information, your website URL, business address, etc.
4. Once you are officially approved for the Google veterans attribute, use your social media platforms to promote the new designation.
5. Use the veterans attribute across your content by adding the designation to your website, eNews, marketing collateral, presentations, and any other elements where you encounter prospects and customers.
The Importance of a Veterans-led Designation
Google recognized the importance of the veterans designation because their research indicates that approximately 2.5 million U.S. small businesses are led by veterans. This translates to about 10 percent of total small businesses.
The designation is an important way for veteran small business owners to be shown appreciation for their service.
The timing is also important because there is heightened awareness to honor veterans in November.
Specifically, November 11 is the annual Veteran’s Day holiday that honors military veterans. This year, the date takes on greater meaning as the 100-year anniversary of the end of World War I on November 11, 1918.
Overall, when your business is officially approved with the Veterans-led attribute, be sure to proudly display and use the designation. You earned the right to promote your business and stand out from the crowd through your service to our country.
Stay up to date with the latest digital marketing news and trends by subscribing to our blog. Simply scroll to the bottom of our Blog page and enter your email address.