Many small-to-medium-sized businesses do a great job of building relationships with other businesses (B2B) or individual customers (B2C) in their local market.
A local restaurant might have favorable connections to local vendors, which helps control costs. A local ice cream shop might be the “go-to place” for customers in a specific city as opposed to the nationally-recognized brand name.
To reach the next level of success — or to take the first step growing your local presence — you need to develop a local content marketing strategy that targets Houston keywords.
What is a Local Content Marketing Strategy?
This type of marketing strategy centers on serving your target audience with relevant content through digital channels such as email, website content, social media, and visual media. Then, this useful content should cause the recipient to take action.
If your business is in Houston, instead of buying advertising that targets Houston residents, you can implement a local content marketing strategy that delivers relevant content to your target audience (possibly for free!).
The key is understanding how to develop a strategy that ensures that your message cuts through the noise in your local region and creates more visibility to reach other businesses or consumers.
Content Tool #1: Email is Essential for Outbound Marketing
One of the pillars of an effective local content marketing strategy is email distribution. This is considered an outbound marketing tactic to reach out to your audience with information about your business, a specific service, a new product, or a coupon/offer.
To successfully execute local email distribution, you need to include the following elements in your strategy:
- A clean list of email addresses.
- An email distribution service such as MailChimp that allows you to segment your list by region to target local businesses or customers.
- Automated email campaigns to send the right message at the right time to the right audience.
Content Tool #2: Website Content is Essential for Inbound Marketing
Another pillar of an effective strategy for local content marketing is website content. You need to create compelling content that brings in your audience to engage with your company and take action.
To bring local businesses or consumers to your website, you should develop content that is relevant to their needs and will drive decision-makers to take action.
Your local blogging strategy should have the following elements:
- Informative website copy that emotionally connects with your audience
- Keyword strategy to decide which keywords to stress with your content
- SEO strategy to maximize content reach in search engine results such as Google
- Smart blog content published on a regular schedule that targets your local market
Content Tool #3: Social Media is Not Just for Personal Thoughts
Social media is a valuable tool if you know which channels are best-suited for your business.
For a local business targeting local consumers, think of it as a digital version of word of mouth. You can generate a following, become an influencer in your region, and create new and repeat customers with smart and engaging social media content.
For businesses targeting other businesses, it’s important to know which social media tools best fit your industry. Otherwise, you risk wasting valuable time and resources distributing your message to an audience that is not there. Consider the following best practices for local social media targeting:
- LinkedIn is best for businesses targeting other business decision-makers.
- Facebook is designed to reach other businesses and consumers, but it is not as business-friendly after Facebook recently changed their algorithm.
- Instagram is only recommended for businesses targeting local consumers.
[ Embed Lindsay MM video – https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a0evctawewA ]
Content Tool #4: Visual Media Can Enhance Your Image
The collection of email, website content, and social media is incomplete without powerful visuals to support your message.
As part of your strategy to target local businesses or consumers, you need synergistic photos and videos to enhance email campaigns, engage customers on your website, and captivate your audience on social media to drive them to action.
The visual tools in your toolbox should include:
- Professional video and photography that can be leveraged across email, website, and social media.
- A robust website that is designed for function over form to enhance engagement.
- Refreshed logos and graphics that tell a compelling story about your company or brand.
How Marketing Refresh Can Help Develop Your Local Content Marketing Strategy
Marketing Refresh is a full-service digital marketing agency that can support your business in each area of your local content marketing strategy.
We take the time to understand your company, offering, audience, and local market. Then, we collaborate with you to create a professional image for your company and produce strategic content that drives your target customer to take action.
Our team is capable of delivering the following elements of an effective local content marketing strategy:
- Strategies for SEO, keywords, and content distribution.
- Copywriting for your website, blog, and social media (hey, that’s me!)
- Professional video and photography to enhance the visual appeal of your content.
- Refreshed logos and graphics to support your message.
Sound good? Consider starting with our Free Website Audit. This form will give us an idea of your current company and website. Then, we will be in contact with you to begin strategizing a plan for local content marketing in Houston to successfully reach other businesses or consumers in the market.
We look forward to working with you to create more business opportunities driving revenue growth for your company!